With the benefit of hindsight, few now doubt that the housing bubble that induced most of the recent growth of the U.S. economy was bound to burst or that a general financial crisis and a global economic slowdown were to be the unavoidable results. Warning signs were evident for years to all of those not taken in by the new financial alchemy of high-risk debt management, and not blinded, as was much of the corporate world, by huge speculative profits. This can be seen in a series of articles that appeared in this space: “The Household Debt Bubble” (May 2006), “The Explosion of Debt and Speculation” (November 2006), “Monopoly-Finance Capital” (December 2006), and “The Financialization of Capitalism” (April 2007).
- Polish translation in Le Monde Diplomatique, Polish Edition (July 2008), http://monde-diplomatique.pl/LMD29/.
- Chinese translation Wu Wei in Marxism and Reality (China), no. 4, 2008.
- Turkish translation by Özkan Özgur, http:///www.toplumsalbilinc.org, October 22, 2008.
- Portuguese translation in Resistir.info, http://resistir.info, 2008.
- Spanish translation in Sin Permiso, issue 4 (December 2008).